If We Were Having Coffee #4

image (3)

If we were having coffee, I would have a number of choices to offer you today: a Kona Blend, a Breakfast Blend, Hazelnut, Maxwell House’s House Blend, and I still have that box of decaf.  We had family over for Mexican food yesterday and bought a number of different flavors to satisfy a house full of coffee drinkers. I will have the hazelnut this morning.

I would tell you a how a writer friend of mine explained what a Kona Blend was to me and likened it to using a Monet for a doormat. I understand now, but instantly thought a Monet doormat would make a wonderful impression. No disrespect to Monet or all you art aficionados of course.

Friends. I would ask you if you thought you could be friends with someone you’ve never met. Well could you? I can and feel I have made friends with a number of beautiful souls over the last year. Strangers, acquaintances, and friends. I won’t get into semantics.

If we were having coffee, I would tell you I am not as depressed as I initially was after completing the FAFSA application for financial aid awards from the two universities my son was accepted to. There is this magical formula that decides what our expected family contribution should be that almost sent me over the edge.  Financial aid award packets arrived this week. I also did some research on tax breaks, federal work study, and additional scholarship monies my son should receive. My son did his part in earning a very large merit scholarship and he has made his decision on which school he wants to attend now with the more expensive of the two private colleges now being cheaper. I knew it would be his first choice anyway. He loved it despite the fact that they don’t allow freshman to have cars on campus. No worries though because the school  gives free bus passes to students.  He will be able to get to the mall and we can postpone getting a new car and giving him ours for a year. It will still be very expensive but bottom line is it’s doable for us with some minor household changes. We are excited for him and feel very blessed at the opportunity afforded him.

If we were having coffee, I would tell you how upset I was at the recent events at a university in Kenya. I just can’t fathom what happened and it saddens me; a shopping mall last year and now a university with innocent people dying for what? Both acts defy any sense of reason. There was a HBO documentary on television the other night about the incident at the mall. Stories of how an act of terrorism brought about acts of heroism and human spirit. Muslims, Christians, Hindus, blacks, whites, mothers, children, store employees, police officers, and students.

Yet here I sit making minor adjustments with bills, getting rid of some premium channels, adjusting our phone plan by getting rid of our land line, and postponing the new car. We are spoiled as a country and I wonder how many people here realize how fortunate we really are as we continue to complain about such trivial crap in the greater scheme of things.

If we were having coffee, I would tell you about a touching post I read the other day on Facebook by one of my friends from graduate school.  She had commented about how she couldn’t imagine what the families of those Jewish children who died in a fire in Brooklyn last month were going through and said she was praying for both them and their families. She is originally from New York City and is also a mother of two kids herself.  She and her husband are Muslim. Her husband is also an officer in the Marine Corp. What does that have to do with anything? Nothing yet everything.

If we were having coffee, I would tell you I welcomed the day with more snow. Much of it had melted over the last few days with warmer spring weather finally arriving. The forecast called for less than an inch of snow today. They were wrong. I think we already have two inches. I love it. Some of you are already planting flowers or gardens. For us, our first planting isn’t until May. It will all work out.

Lastly, I would tell you Happy Easter or maybe Happy Passover. Regardless of your religious convictions or non-convictions, beliefs or non-beliefs, I would just want you to have a happy day.

Until next time…

The view from my kitchen window this morning

The view from my kitchen window this morning

19 Comments

1. Glad you stopped by. 🙂

I do think you can be friends with people you’ve never actually met, and I feel as though blogging has brought me many of those.

• W.C. Cunningham

April 7, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I have met some amazing people through social media and blogging. Thanks for reading Diana. One of these days I need to figure out how to put a link to your site in my widget thing.

• Not to worry! 🙂

One of the things I’ve most enjoyed about blogging so far is the incredible range of interesting and yes, amazing! people that I’ve met.

• W.C. Cunningham

April 11, 2015 at 9:11 am

I figured out how to do it! Next time you are on my site, scroll down and look at widgets on the right hand side. It now links to your site. 🙂

2. A thoughtful and touching post Bill, as always! You’ve touched upon so many aspects in this post, coffee, friendship, religion, beliefs and terrorism. All seamlessly joined together, even though so disparate – just like life. Yes, we all need to count our blessings. And as you know my own post was about the same thing, albeit expressed differently, synchronicity on the net! I have come across a wonderful blogger on the net from Kenya and my first thought was for her safety when I heard the dreadful news. But to my great relief and joy, she and her family are well. We are all touched – it’s one earth after all. And last but not the least, Congratulations on your son’s success!

• W.C. Cunningham

April 7, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Synchronicity indeed. I immediately thought the same thing when I read yours (which I loved by the way). It’s comforting to know others feel the same way, despite all our perceived differences. One earth. I’m so happy your friend from Kenya was safe.

3. We are friends, I think, and I’m rather chary of using that word. Too many people take it too lightly. Congratulations to your son on working hard and earning a spot at the college of his choice, as well as taking some plums of effort (merit scholarships.) I’m sure he’ll get along well without a car, as long as the bus goes where he needs to get. I loved the free bus pass UNM gave grad students.

I always love reading these segments. If we were having coffee, I’d bring along my own mug. It’s the size of a bathtub with a handle, and the cynical profanity on its side is not a personal motto, but a shield against the hurries, horrors, and hurts in my early-morning newsfeed.

• W.C. Cunningham

April 7, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I think so too and thank you for sending me to the dictionary once again. As for my son, he will be walking distance to many little eating establishments and Lake Erie. The free bus pass is a bonus to many of the other sights, restaurants, and shopping. I think he will enjoy it there. No Lobo view of the Sandias (which would be more my style), but sunset over a Great Lake certainly can be beautiful.

I’d love to see that mug. My favorite mug has a picture of a deer on it. Oh, and my second attempt at impressionism humor was still missed!

4. As always, Bill, I enjoyed your post. Different in many ways, I think we are like minded souls and are definitely friends although we’ve never met. I think our snow has finally cleared. Not to rub it in or anything, but we hit the 70’s today. 🙂

By the way, congrats to oldest (sorry, that name has sort of stuck) on his final decision and the job!

• W.C. Cunningham

April 7, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Thank Dena! I can’t believe we went from as much snow as we had Easter morning to having most of it all melt over the last two days. Although I welcomed it Sunday morning, I’m hoping that is the last of it. I’m ready for green trees, and planting, and grilling, and bon-fires, and fishing, and county fair food, and…

5. #If we were having coffee, I would tell you about a touching post I read the other day on Facebook by one of my friends from graduate school. She had commented about how she couldn’t imagine what the families of those Jewish children who died in a fire in Brooklyn last month were going through and said she was praying for both them and their families. She is originally from New York City and is also a mother of two kids herself. She and her husband are Muslim. Her husband is also an officer in the Marine Corp. What does that have to do with anything? Nothing yet everything.”

Not only drinking the same blend, but on the same station. Hoping the news will change, nothing and everything as you said.~ Shareen

6. You are so right about not complaining about trivial things. I often avoid people who do so repeatedly as when we put it in perspective most of those things aren’t life-altering. Be appreciative 🙂 I APPRECIATE that part of your post!

• W.C. Cunningham

April 12, 2015 at 8:41 am

Even if some of those things are life-altering, and you are correct in that most of them aren’t, we tend to get through them and are usually better for it. Maybe Nietzsche was on to something. Thanks for reading and commenting Christy!

7. One day, the world shall live as one. Until that day, those of us who have this dream, must keep on writing and talking about it. Small ripples in a pool of water will eventually have the effect of changing the pool of water. 🙂

• W.C. Cunningham

April 12, 2015 at 8:46 am

I believe more of us have that dream than not. Someday, I hope to make it to your continent. Bucket list 🙂

8. If we were having coffee, I would snatch up the Kona blend, knowing its a delish blend and remembering discovering this on my honeymoon (and my then-non-coffee husband adored it). I’d happily listen to your son’s successes and challenges, recalling that when I was college-bound, there was no internet way to search financial aid or options. I’d wish you the best, thank you for coffee, and ask if we would meet do this again.

• W.C. Cunningham

May 2, 2015 at 9:28 am

Thank you for stopping by! Financial aid is a humbling experience to say the least. But, it’s an investment. 🙂